Monday, July 9, 2018

Game 8: Chicago Cubs


Why is it that the Mondays after vacation are the darn hardest?! We just got back from five days at the beach, and in theory, I should be all kinds of well-rested. And I was! ..Until this morning when my alarm went off for work. Wamp wamp.

Alrighty - we are going a bit retro today. We are going back to recap something from this past April. 

If you remember back before my writing hiatus, I had a list of 30 things I wanted to accomplish before turning 30 (I just recently hopped into this new decade a few weeks ago). The complete list, including my successes and failures of said list, will come later, but one of the items on that list was to attend TEN out of state baseball games with my dad. 

TEN. That's TEN things within ONE bullet point. So I basically wanted to accomplish 40 things before I turned 30. Just wanted to make sure everyone understood that and I got extra credit. :) 

Long story short - one of the games we knew we wanted to attend was to see those Cubbies play at Wrigley. We had actually planned to see them last September, but the dad of one of my besties got wind of this and told us to wait and use their season tickets. 

<Which in hindsight was a total God thing because I was busy fighting cancer last September and there's no way we would have been able to go!>

So, at the end of April, my dad and I conquered Game 8 of our ten game stretch!

Game 8 - Chicago Cubs vs. Milwaukee Brewers - April 28th, 2018
And yes - we are wearing some mighty heavy winter wear. We'll get to that in a minute. 

Since the game was a mid-day game, we decided we could do a morning/evening same day flight and be just fine. We hopped an early morning flight, received a complimentary upgrade to first class, and had a mighty nice little jaunt to Illinois! 

I'm clearly out of blogging practice, because mid-flight my dad reminded me that we hadn't taken a flight selfie. And if you recall from all the other games we've attended, we have always taken a flight selfie. Way to be, pops!



After a pretty quick flight and some turbulent landing, we headed into the airport where I tossed that entire complimentary breakfast I had just eaten because, well, #pregnant. 

We had a good hour or so before we had to be at the game, so we opted for the budget-friendly subway to take us to Wrigley. My dad snapped this on the ride...



This right here is the poster child for the first trimester. 
SO TIRED ALL THE TIME. 

But just for the record I had a fantastic nap. 

The subway let us off right at the field, so we (and thousands of our closest friends) headed into the ballpark. We sat in our seats, checked out the view, and then immediately headed to go get some hats. We have hats from every game we've been to and I am loving my little collection. :) 


Our seats were on the 8th row behind the visitor's dugout and the best view we've had so far! Huge shout out and thank you to the Kool family!

We've purchased hats at the ballpark before and it hasn't been any big deal, but we also haven't been to a game in 40 degree weather. That gift shop was PACKED with fans buying sweatshirts, blankets, and all sorts of cold-weather gear. Twas a big business day for the Cubbies franchise. 

We got our hats, hot dogs, and headed back out to the game. And I will say, having seats in the sun and wearing a ski jacket made for an extremely pleasant game! Being in Texas I've sat through some 100+ degree games and I would take a colder game in appropriate attire any day. 

And by appropriate attire, I mean...


I. Look. Good. 

My dad wore a peacoat and mittens and though this picture doesn't really show anything, I would laugh HYSTERICALLY when he clapped after a play. It was the saddest most muffled clap I've ever heard and it just really tripped my ticklebone.


We shared the seats with Kelsey's brother and his friend and had such a good time catching up!


I mean look at those sun rays! That sun was our saving grace that day! 

I will admit - no ice cream was consumed during Game 8. Which is very unlike my dad and me. But y'all we didn't even look for it. We stuck to hot dogs and peanuts and were quite content!


Obligatory seventh inning selfie :)

We enjoyed such a great game and a Cubs WIN!! Which was probably my favorite part of the day because we got to witness this: 



It's like the Sweet Caroline of Fenway. AND I knew all the words because it's also Kelsey's ringtone any time her parents call :)

CUBBIES WIN!!!!!!
Two happy kids right there. 



Afterwards it was a mass exodus leaving the ballpark, so we stopped at Dunkin Donuts, grabbed a coffee, and let the subway clear out before heading to the airport. Where I puked on the plane. Yet again. 

It was a quick but perfect day. And Game 8 was officially in the books! 

Stay tuned for Games 9 & 10, because - spoiler alert - WE HIT ALL TEN! 

Love this man and this little jaunt we started three years ago :)

Click below for recaps of:

Happy Monday everyone!
Katy


1 comments:

  1. Your dad is so cute! I love how he suggested a selfie! Yeaaaahhhh... it’s still pretty cold in these parts in April. I live about 3 hours from Chicago in Michigan and we get at least one good snow in April. Wrigley is so cool!

    ReplyDelete