Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Trim Down Tuesday: Lisa's Paleo Shepherd's Pie


Shepherd's Pie. 


I mean does anyone even know what Shepherd's Pie really is? 

Cause I didn't. Not until this week anyways. 

The extent of my Shepherd Pie knowledge began and ended with the one where Rachel makes the Thanksgiving trifle but the recipe pages are stuck together and so she makes half trifle/half Shepherd's Pie. Joey loved it and Ross thought it tasted like feet. #mylifeexperiencesarebasedonFriends

That right there is all I thought of when I heard the words "Shepherd's Pie."

So when I asked Lisa for some easy recipes to make after Baylor Homecoming, I not-so-subtly grimaced when she mentioned this dish. 

She swore to me it was delicious and easy, so I bit the bullet and gave it a try. Only after feeding it to my mother. #guineapignamedsusie

And the verdict was? We both really liked it! I surprised myself and got seconds. My mom surprised herself and liked a healthy meal. There were just so many pleasant surprises that came with this here dish!

You can click over to see Lisa's write up of this dish here, or if you're thumbs are feeling sluggish, I included it below, too :)

OH - and the best part? Lisa recommends all the Trader Joe's prepacked things - so this literally takes like 10-15 minutes to throw together. Hallelu. 


What You'll Need

1 lb ground meat (I used turkey)
1 container of TJ's Mirepoix**
1 bag of TJ's cauliflower florets
2 cloves of garlic (or 2 tsp garlic powder)
1 tbsp EVOO
Dried Basil
Salt-n-Peppa (#shoop)

**Mirepoix from Trader Joes is a pre-diced mix of celery, onion and carrots. If you prefer to slice-n-dice your own you can get the amounts of each on Lisa's page.

 What You'll Do

Brown the meat in a skillet until it's cooked, and add in the veggies until soft
Season with basil, salt, and pepper

Steam the cauliflower in the microwave and place into a blender or food processor (I used the magic bullet) with EVOO and the garlic. Blend until smooshy and soft (they'll look like whipped potatoes).

Pour the meat and veggie mix into an 8x8 baking dish, and spread the mashed cauliflower on top. 
Season with more basil, salt, and pepper. 

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

BOOM. Shepherd's Pie. (No trifle included.)

And y'all it really was good. I had a back-up dish planned for today just in case it wasn't (sorry, Lis - I just wasn't sure). But alas, my girl knows what she's talking about and I'm pumped to be grubbin on these leftovers all week! 



Happy Tuesday everyone!
AND THANKS LISA!

Until next time,
Katy

0 comments:

Post a Comment