Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Bulletproof Coffee


So I don't really watch late night TV shows (Fallon, Kimmel, etc.), mainly because during the week I crawl in bed around 10, turn on Friends (thank you Nick-at-Nite!), set the sleep timer and fall asleep. Friends is my late night TV show. And that's fine because Friends never gets old.

Anyways, I was scrolling through facebook one day and saw this Jimmy Fallon link on bulletproof coffee. I thought to myself, 'I like coffee, I like to think I'm bulletproof, I need to watch this." You can watch the short video here.

So. Bulletproof coffee. What is it? 

Listen here. 

It's black coffee.
1 tbsp coconut oil
...and 1 tsbp of butter



Yes. I just told you to put butter in your morning joe. Did you gag a little? I did. It's okay. In the video, Shailene Woodley corrects Jimmy with clarification that it's "grass fed butter." Like that makes a difference. There is still butter in coffee and that's weird.

But then of course I had to try it.

So I brew me a K-Cup, throw it in the blender with the oil and butter, and voila. It looks normal, right? It looks like coffee with cream. 



Then I tasted it. And y'all - it's not half bad. It's rich and frothy and still tastes like coffee. They ("they" being the health experts in the world) claim it's really good for you, too. It provides you with your healthy fats first thing in the morning so you don't crave them all day, assists brain function, levels out female hormones, etc. If you're cutting calories - I'd stick with just black coffee. If you're trying to wean yourself of frilly lattes with a giant dollop of whipped cream and caramel syrup on top....maybe give this a try.

Personally, not sure I'd do this on a daily basis - I like my almond milk - but I guess I wouldn't mind indulging in rich buttery coffee every now and then. In fact, if it levels out hormones, my friends, family, and extremely patient boyfriend would probably insist :) 

If you're a coffee lover you should try it. I mean, why not? Next time you order coffee in the drive thru and someone asks "cream and sugar?" ....you can just respond with "a pat of butter please."

Gotta love these crazy fads this crazy world offers!

Until next time,
Katy


1 comments: