Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Lemon Glazed Muffins


People. You HAVE to make these. 

I tried this recipe on Sunday night, took them to work on Monday, and am blogging about them on Tuesday. Zero lag time. It's that important. 

So we all know Katy loves lemon, right? Give me all the lemon. 

Back in May, I posted about Lemon Pie, which is still an all time fave, but this past weekend I was home from vacation and craving the carbs. Sometimes I seriously have an overwhelming craving for muffins. And the term "muffin top" is so applicable negative, but it indeed often prevents me from eating the muffins. Well not this weekend!

I wanted something carby, but also light and summery. So I popped on over to Mix and Match Mama's blog (she has anything you could want for about every craving), and found her post on Lemon Mini Muffins

....but I don't do "mini." Give me the big mama muffins. 

So I adapted the recipe and viola. Craving fulfilled. 


Here is the recipe straight from Shay's website

Shopping List
1 box of lemon cake mix
1 small box of instant vanilla pudding
1 small box of instant lemon pudding
1/2 cup of veggie oil
1 cup water
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
 4 eggs
2 cups powdered sugar
2 lemons, juice plus zest, divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In mixing bowl, combine cake mix, puddings, oil, water, 1/4 cup juice and eggs with electric mixer.
To make the glaze, combine powdered sugar with the zest and juice of one lemon.  Mix together with a spoon.   (Add more powdered sugar if your glaze is too runny or more lemon juice from your second lemon if it's too thick.) 
 

I poured the batter into greased muffin tins and cooked for about 16 minutes (or after it passed the clean knife test - a trick my mama taught me). The recipe above made 30 regular-size muffins. 

Side note: I got really into a TV show I was watching and accidentally put 1/2 cup of lemon in the batter rather than 1/4. It wasn't too lemony at all! In fact it was so good, I'll probably do it the same next time. I also hate the act of zesting pretty much anything, so my glaze was just lemon juice and powdered sugar and it worked out just fine :) Shay is just way cooler than me. 

Also - in case you're making these for a party/brunch: I glazed them the night before I took them to work and was a little scared how the glaze would hold up/affect the muffins. .....yeah not a problem at all. You can glaze ahead of time and you'll be just fine. 

Obsessed with Kelsey's kitchen aid. I want to get married just so I can register for one of these...
 
 I mean, these puppies were a huge hit. Kelsey and I ate about 5 right after I made them (sadly that is not an exaggeration), and the batch went pretty quickly at work yesterday. One guy I worked with said "those muffins were awesome," and I said "oh good did you try one?" and he said, "no I tried four." 

...you need these in your life people. They're perfect for summer. Light, sweet, tangy, and impossible to eat just one. I did save a few at home and I'm thinking one would go pretty well with my coffee right about now.....

Until next time, 
Katy 

0 comments:

Post a Comment