Tuesday, December 22, 2015

December Book Review



It's the Tuesday before Christmas and all through the house...
All were snuggled reading and quieter than a church mouse.

Said no one ever. 

The hustle and bust is in full force, people. Full. Force. 

You should see my room right now. I mean between the gifts that need to be wrapped, laundry that needs to be done, ski-wear that needs to be packed...my poor dog is like 'hey mom, can you at least make me a bath from my bed to the front door?' Sorry Charlie.

BUT - while these next few days will likely be both rushed and loud, come Saturday you're going to be like...what on earth do I do with my life? And the answer: snuggle up and READ. Come January you're going to be all over those resolutions, so you might as well take some down time for yourself the last week of December. 

So I've totally missed the boat on the last two months of book reviews...wamp wamp. But today I have FIVE books to share with you! And three of them are holiday themed! I've actually never read a "Christmastime book" - and I have no idea why. They're so good and festive! 

Alright enough chatter... 

 For the Love
by Jen Hatmaker


I can't say enough completely wonderful things about this book. It's hilarious, it's inspiring, it's for every single female (not just mothers), it's easy to read but makes you think. It's just an amazingly well written book. And I want to be best friends with Jen Hatmaker. 

Each chapter is a thought, or revolves around a thought, so you don't have to sit down and read it all in one sitting. You absolutely can, girrrl do whatchuwant, but I personally read a chapter with my morning quiet time. 

I know you have ohhhh like three days before Christmas, but if you need a stocking stuffer - THIS IS IT.
_____

The Husband's Secret
by Liane Moriarty



Okay, so ironically, in September when I told you all about how I read "Big Little Lies" by Liane Moriarty, several of you contacted me telling me how you bought The Husband's Secret by Ms. Moriarty per my recommendation and absolutely loved it. It was weird. The covers do look a little similar, but it was just odd at how many of you read the wrong book :) BUT since so many of you said you loved it, I had to read it myself! 

Jeff's mom let me borrow her copy and I will say - it was hard to put down. Liane's books give you tid bits and make you wonder the whole dang book. It's like a mystery without being a "whodunnit." You will probably be able to finish this in a few days - it'll grab your attention and not let go!
 _____

Winter Street and Winter Stroll
by Elin Hilderbrand


I'm doing these two together since they're a series (with the last installment coming out next Christmas). My friend Lauren told me about this book, because her Kindle account told her about it, and I of course had to read it. This is when I scolded myself for never having read a holiday book. 
I love Elin's books in general because you hop characters. Each chapter is written from a different character's perspective, so it keeps you entertained and on your toes. These were no different. What I REALLY loved about these books is they're pretty short. On my nook each book was less than 200 pages (while most books on my nook are between 300-400). So if you're thinking you just don't have time during the holidays to sit down and read a novel, no worries, this isn't a novel :)

_____

There's Something about Christmas
by Debbie Macomber


This is actually my first Debbie Macomber book! My friend Kristie has read like all of them and recommended them to me. While I'll admit I have not yet finished it (the hustle and bustle, people, the hustle and bustle), I will say so far so good! It's fun to read a new author every now and then - sometimes you get used to how the others write. I plan on finishing this in Colorado next week, but I don't think I won't like it :)
_____

And there are my five! Be encouraged to slow down and curl up before 2016 hits. You live a fast paced life 51 out of the 52 weeks of the year....slowing down for one won't kill you :)

THREE DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS!

Until next time,
Katy

0 comments:

Post a Comment