Thursday, October 8, 2015

Butter Pumpkin Cookies


For all the cookies in the cookie jar....you have to try this recipe.

Tuesday night I was in a baking mood, so I decided to try something I've never tried before: a pumpkin cookie.

 ...it's October. Did you really think my next baked good would NOT be pumpkin-related?

I'm not a huge cookie baker. I've had this blog for a year and I have yet to share a cookie recipe. Mainly because I'm not naturally good at baking cookies and it frustrates me. Remember when I told you my failed attempt at a sugar cookie left me in a hot mess of tears? I'm not one for the cookie baking but definitely one for the dramatics. 

Anyways, so I decided to make another attempt last night. I present to you...

Butter Pumpkin Cookies
(with a brown sugar glaze)


And the verdict? SUCCESS. These things are incredible. The texture is more of a light and fluffy bread/muffin type of cookie. Translation: they melt in your mouth. The pumpkin isn't overly powerful or sweet, so the brown sugar glaze provides just the right amount of sugar to the savory.

Another plus? This recipe makes about 45 cookies. So if you're making this for your kids at school or for a large family gathering - this is your lifesaver. Unfortunately,  I did not know this magnitude when I set out to bake these little pumpkin nuggets. By the last cookie rack it was way past my bedtime and I was way over it. I had pumpkin cookies coming out of my ears!

What You'll Need

for the cookie
2 cups butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 can pure pumpkin - 15 oz
4 cups flour

 for the glaze
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
3 cups powdered sugar
  
What You'll Do

 Mix the butter, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt with an electric mixer

Add in vanilla, pumpkin, and flour - mixing after each addition

Place about 1/4 cup worth of batter onto a cookie sheet (covered with parchment paper), placing each cookie about 2 inches apart

Bake at 350 degrees for 14 minutes (the edges will be golden brown - do not overcook!)

 Melt the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over the stove until sugar dissolves. Add in milk and powdered sugar, stirring until smooth. Pour atop cooled cookies.


I took these to work (all 40 of them) and they were gone by 2pm. Even those who weren't the biggest pumpkin fans had more than one. It's a fall cookie for everyone!


Until next time,
Katy

0 comments:

Post a Comment