Friday, November 27, 2015

Pumpkin Scones


Goooood morning!

Well, I am up like a crazy fool doing some online Black Friday shopping. We thought about full-on embracing the crazy and going shopping with the masses, but with my mom still sick and my sister on the brink of birth...we decided online was the way to go. 

SO, I'm sitting in my new jammies, drinking a large cup of coffee, online sale-ing (shopping makes it sound like it's full price), and sharing with you my last pumpkin recipe of the season. 

Did you just cry a little? Thought so. 

But alas, the pumpkin season is coming to an end. For the future it's all things red (velvet) and green. I wanted to do something "big" as my last recipe, so I give you....

Pumpkin Scones


And holy pumpkin spice are these babies delicious.

For some reason, the thought of making a scone terrified me. Maybe because it's English? Cakes, muffins, breads - I'm all over it. But scones? Woah there. That gets complicated. So naturally I waited until I got to my parents' house and made my dad help me :)
Come to find out - scones ain't no big deal. They're basically like a homemade biscuit with glaze on top. We can do that, people. That we can do. 

PS don't let the amount of ingredients fool you. It's really not hard at all.

What You'll Need

for the biscuit 
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
 1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter (cold)
1/2 cup pumpkin
3 tablespoons milk 
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract

for the base glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk 

for the spiced glaze
I cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 tbsp milk 

What You'll  Do

  Mix the first nine ingredients (from the flour to the salt) in a large bowl

Cut up the butter into small cubes, and using your hand, mix the butter into the flour mixture until it's a crumbly mix

In a separate bowl, mix the pumpkin, milk, egg, and vanilla. Pour over flour mixture until it creates a batter.

Put a little flour on a cutting board, and knead the dough until usable. Roll the dough into a rectangle that is about 1-inch thick. Cut the dough into 8 triangles. 

Place the triangles onto a cookie sheet lines with parchment paper, and bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes

Allow the scones to cool (at least ten minutes) before glazing. Mix the base glaze and pour over the scone, then mix the spiced glaze and drizzle on top.

_____

The worst part? Waiting for those dang scones to cool. 


My dad and I were actually pacing around the kitchen. It happened. 

Seriously, y'all. These are so good. My dad and I took a bite and just looked at each other. No words needed. We knew this was a keeper. 



Enjoy!

Until next time,
Katy

0 comments:

Post a Comment