Wednesday, August 19, 2015

August Books


Happy Wednesday!

Several blogs I read do a book review every so often, and I get a lot of author/book ideas from those reviews. So I thought I'd do a review of my own and give you fine folks some new reading material! :)



Word. This is so true. I love escaping into a book. It's like nothing else in the world matters. You're removed from your current surroundings and placed over in Nantucket or something. And the Nantucket in my head is often a lot more glamorous than this Texas summer. 

Here we go! The books I've been reading the past month:

The Rumor
by Elin Hilderbrand


 This book was this month's choice for my girls' Book Club. I'll have to say this was my first Elin Hilderbrand book - and I really really loved it! I read it in three sittings; it was definitely a page turner. A little predictable - but honestly that never bothered me. Cheesy love dramas are so my thing, whether I can guess the ending or it's a total surprise. And this book led me to....



The Matchmaker
by Elin Hilderbrand



This one took me a little longer to "get into" than the Rumor, but it also had less predictability. There were some twists and turns in the middle/end that I just didn't expect! What I did like about reading this right after The Rumor was that they were both based in Nantucket - so my "image" of the island was already established! The new characters just fit right on in :) Moral of the story: there are definitely more Hilderbrand Nantucket novels in my future.

The One and Only
by Emily Giffin




I was so stinking excited for this book. And so stinking disappointed. I have read and loved (and own) all of Emily's other books, so naturally this was a no-brainer when walking through Target. Plus it was centered around Texas college football, so the cities and schools I was all too familiar with. What I couldn't get on board with was the plot. I don't really want to give too much away, but you definitely have to think outside the box in this romantic relationship, and it was just a little too weird for me. 

Those are my three novels I've read, but I also have been doing a little "side reading" this month. Now, I was never one of those that could read two books at once, but the following book I've just been reading a chapter a morning with my devotional. And y'all - it is a must read. If you are dating someone, engaged to someone, or newly married to someone, I highly recommend this book. My mom gave it to me when I was home this summer, and my parents gave it to her when she started dating my dad. 

Letters to Karen
by Charles Shedd




Please note: this is what the book looks like NOW. My copy is worn with yellow pages....and really special :)

This book is a compilation of letters from a dad to his daughter. She asked her dad how to keep her future husband loving her for the rest of their lives, and these letters are his response. They're short, humorous, and real life. I look forward to reading a little tid bid of wisdom each morning with my coffee. I highly HIGHLY recommend it. PS - thanks, mom!

And there we have it! My books from August. I'm already onto my next novel for September's review, and let me tell you, it's a good one :)

OH - and all you females please check back tomorrow. We're having girl talk. Me and my hair need some help. 

Until next time,
Katy


0 comments:

Post a Comment