Monday, August 31, 2015

Coffee Cake Muffins


Hello Monday. 

So if you follow me on Instagram, then you shouldn't be surprised that my first post of the week is a baked good. Saturday morning was a tad rainy here in Dallas, so I brewed me some coffee and curled back up with Paula Deen's Fall Baking magazine. It really was quite the spectacular morning. 

I saw these muffins and knew immediately that they were a must-bake. I am a sucker for muffins. I am a sucker for coffee cake. And I am a sucker for the cinnamon sugar smell that reminds me we are inching our way towards fall. 

I, via way of Paula Deen, give you the Coffee Cake Muffin. 


(PS I'm pretty proud of this picture. I think it's safe to say my foodie pictures are improving!)

Now, this is pure and classic coffee cake. There's nothing overly-complicated about it. It's the slightly sweet muffin batter mixed in with a cinnamon/brown sugar streusel. Don't get me wrong, each bite still makes you grunt with happiness, but I'm just saying - this version is a classic. 

What You'll Need:

for the batter:
2/3 cup of butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup sour cream 

for the streusel:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
4 tbsp of butter 

What You'll Do

In one bowl, mix together all of the batter ingredients (I literally just dumped them all in a bowl and took the electric mixer to it). 

In another bowl, mix together the streusel flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Cut the butter into small 1/2 inch pieces, and then cut those pieces into cubes. Mix into cinnamon mixture with a pastry blender until clumpy. 

Katy Tip: I do not have a pastry blender, but I used an electric mixer attachment and it worked just fine. You just want clumps - the smaller you chop up the butter, the easier it will be to make clumps.

Line 18-count muffin tins with muffin cups. Spoon half of the batter into the bottom of the cups (filling each cup only halfway). Spoon half the streusel mixture on top of batter. Pour remaining batter onto streusel. Top with remaining steusel. 

Long story short, you're just layering the batter/streusel from the bottom up: batter, streusel, batter, streusel.  

Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes (or until it passes the clean knife test). 

Serve warm. With coffee. :)

I sliced a muffin in half to show you the streusel inside. I mean I know I'm biased, but I think this looks pretty dang delicious. 

 
Mondays are rough. They're just in need of a comfort food like this :)

Enjoy!

Until next time,
Katy
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment