Tuesday, September 29, 2015

September Book Review


First of all - I feel as though I must address that it is National Coffee Day. I am aware that these days it is always national "something" day - but nevertheless, today is a day worth celebrating! So here's to hoping (imaging me holding up my mug) you are drinking coffee when you read this. And hopefully it was free. (Pssst - go by a Dunkin Donuts today and it will be!)

Alrighty...back to the books. 


Not sure why, but this picture looked literary to me. So I went with it. 

This month I read some really great books, and I also ventured out on authors. But MOST of all, I found what I truly believe is my absolute favorite book I have read this year. Like couldn't-put-it-down-stayed-up-way-too-late-reading favorite book. But let's start from the top.

Big Little Lies
by Liane Moriarty


I bought this book at the airport when Amy and I were stranded there for a six hour flight delay from South Carolina. I had heard of the author, but honestly bought it due to the rave reviews about it. And I will say, I thoroughly enjoyed it! I ended up finishing it in a different airport (I travel a lot) and sure did say "oh my gosh!" out loud in the terminal. It got me. This book also is written from the perspective of 4 or so different characters, so it keeps you on your toes. It's a mystery layered under a lot of kindergarten mom drama. Reese Witherspoon instagrammed that she was reading it, so maybe you should too :)

PSA: If you travel a lot, you must indulge in the read-and-return policy the airports have going on. It's wonderful. You buy a book at the airport, read it, and return it at a participating airport (majority of airports) and receive half your money back! I returned this book this past weekend when I traveled, and it worked like a charm! 

_____

Treasured by Thursday
by Catherine Bybee

   
I blame owe my friend Kristie for my love of these books. Kristie got me hooked on Catherine Bybee books a few summers back, and I've loved every single one I've read. This particular book was the seventh and final (boo!) book of her Weekday Bride Series. These are pure love stories with a touch of action/mystery that keeps you on your toes. Easy reads that make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. But you need to start with the first one! See the full series here

_____

The Knock-Off
by Lucy Skyes and Jo Piazza




This actually was our book club selection for the month. I'll admit, it took me about 80ish pages to actually get into it, but once I did I really enjoyed it. It was kind of a modern day Devil Wears Prada (or so it reminded me of) - older magazine editor must adapt to young techies. I chuckled out loud quite a few times and towards the middle it was hard to put down. A different read than I'm used to - but one I did indeed enjoy! 

_____

The Royal We
by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan





 AAAAHHH!! (that was a blog scream)

This is by far my favorite book of the year. I'm in the middle of it and I literally can't put it down. I crawled in bed at midnight on Sunday after a jam-packed weekend in California.....and then proceeded to read for an hour. Then I took yesterday off to do adult things like bake, laundry, decorate for fall, clean, etc. Nope. I read all day. I woke up abruptly this morning at 4 a.m. from a nightmare and my first thought was "hey, I can read a little before my alarm goes off." 
Charlie is so over this book. But y'all it's so dang good. 

It's a fictional novel based on the courtship/relationship of William and Kate. The ironic thing is, I never really jumped on the royal bandwagon when it happened, so I'm surprised I'm as addicted to this book as I am. I laughed, I cried - I just LOVE this book. If you want to read a good story on the ups and downs of relationships, or have any interest in the royal couple, then do yourself a favor and read this book! Fair warning: it'll make you want to go (back) to London.

_____

And those are my September books! I am just loving these book posts. I have SO missed reading. Any recommendations for October are so very welcomed!  

See my August book review here.

Until next time,
Katy 

1 comments:

  1. Big Little Lies is on my to-read list and now I'm adding The Royal We because #williamandkate4evaaaaa!!! haha. But seriously, I was one of those girls who stayed up all night watching the wedding then went to a friend's house that weekend and rewatched it along with all the specials that aired.

    Angela @ Top Knots and Curly Locks

    ReplyDelete